The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Detectorists 2
77 messages
Select a forum:
I see what you're saying Nigel, and I do agree with you really. But I don't think this series will do a hundredth of the damage that those silly 'treasure hunting' programmes do. Because they're infotainment and have lots of glittering finds (you too could find this. You too could swap them for loadsamoney. all you have to do is dig holes in a field).

If anyone watches this comedy because they think it's going to show the thrills of finding treasure, then they'll be disappointed. As shown by the feeble finds table of this week's episode. Not exactly encouraging anyone to spend hundreds on a metal detector, it was a small array of belt buckles and Andy and friend only found a tufty club badge and a bit of a table. It wasn't glamorous, it was pathetic.

It's more about how dysfunctional people are and about their friendships kind of making up for that. I guess it could be about any weird hobby but maybe it's relevant that they're actually searching for something (like they're searching for some sense in life).

But it was supposed to be funny, that there was this amazing jewel in the field, but they gave up and would never find it. And the contrast between the dark romantic excitement of its burial and the mundanity of them just walking past it in the sunshine. Any normal person watching the programme as entertainment isn't going to think like an avaricious metal-detectorist at that point, surely? I do hope not. People who think like that are going to think like that anyway, and the type of programme that'll encourage them will be nonsense like this:
http://www.history.co.uk/shows/hoard-hunters
http://www.britishmuseum.org/secrettreasures

But the comedy programme all helps raise the profile of the subject doesn't it? And then the rights and wrongs can be discussed, if people find they're interested. I don't think it's in the same league as the programmes linked to above. But I totally take your point that Wrong Impressions should be avoided. (I actually thought the fact the standing stone was lying down and overgrown might have been precisely that, to imply no-one knew there was anything special about the place at all).

Reply | with quote
Rhiannon
Posted by Rhiannon
1st November 2015ce
14:27

In reply to:

Re: Detectorists 2 (nigelswift)

1 reply:

Re: Detectorists 2 (nigelswift)

Messages in this topic: